Life’s little pleasures – Chenin Blanc: #DrinkChenin Day
Rated amongst the worlds finest, South African Chenin Blanc is celebrated each year in the month of June with #DrinkChenin Day.
The norm is a day packed with festivities where producers come together to place the spotlight on the grapes amazing diversity. This year, in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic, we won’t be able to have a get-together dinner or Chenin braai. We can however still celebrate its uniqueness in the comfort of our own homes. A Zoom or Whatsapp call to family and friends with a glass of your favourite Chenin, a slow-cooked winter meal and a fire blazing in the background might just be the answer to brighten your lockdown blues.
You might be wondering why all the fuss about this grape varietal? Many winemakers love Chenin for its diversity and the array of cuveés created by this grape can range from very sweet, light and full-bodied and can be used for sparkling wines and brandy. Its complex, has many aromas, flavours and absolutely loves food.
This year for #DrinkChenin Day at Mooiplaas, we’ve decided to focus on three of our esteemed Chenin’s and of course, winemaker Bertus Basson favourites. You can even stand a chance to win some of this delicious wine to the value of R1000, 00 by simply adding your details to our newsletter database here. The prize includes two bottles of each of:
- Mooiplaas Houmoed Bush Vine Chenin Blanc 2011 is a beautiful example of a well-matured white wine. Developed aromas such as toffee and hazelnut with hints of lime and citrus. The pallet is well balanced with some butterscotch flavours backed by fresh citrus flavours.
- Mooiplaas Houmoed Bush Vine Chenin Blanc 2018 that is only bottled in exceptional years. It flirts with quince, apricot and peach flavours with hints of honey and almonds dancing across your palate. This Chenin is the perfect partner to Butter chicken curry and slow-roasted pork belly.
- Mooiplaas Chenin Blanc 2019 a lighter style Chenin with teasing flavours of Golden Delicious apples, litchi and mango and a soft minerality on the palate. Great with creamy pasta dishes or slow-roasted chicken in the oven.
Winemaker Bertus suggests enjoying your Chenin with the following winter comfort recipes:
- Easy White Wine Garlic Mussels by Alida Ryder
- Jamie Oliver’s Chicken in Milk by Sam Linsell
- Slow Roasted Pork Belly with Sichuan Pepper by Woolworths Taste
- Koeksisters by Sarie.com
- Malva pudding by Food24.com
Sit back, open that special bottle of Chenin on the 20th of June and celebrate life’s little pleasures with us this #DrinkChenin Day.